Friday, August 5, 2011

Long Lake

It wasn't pouring rain today, so we went to check out Long Lake Provincial Park:
It's only a 15 minute drive from our little red circle.

It seems to be a bit of an unofficial off-leash place, tons of dogs around! Apparently when the major off leash dog park (Point Pleasant) was annihilated by Hurrican Juan in 2003, Long Lake became a haven for dog walkers. It's not really maintained much though, so we'd follow a trail, then after awhile there wasn't much of a trail anymore. Seems like an awesome place to paddle a canoe around and find a private spot. Also looked like nice swimming, until we spotted a leech gyrating along the shoreline.

Reminds me of BC!


These people were in little pedal boats, one of them had a husky riding on the back. I think our dogs would have to be old and decrepit before they'd be calm enough to do that!

(Stacie! Scott wears those Merrell sandals all the time! Thanks!)


So there's a bit of a story surrounding this creek....

We were walking back along the beach and came across this creek. I was in running shoes, so had to take them off and chuck them over to the other side. Rewind a little.... about 2 minutes earlier Aluka had done some, uh, soft smelly business on the beach. Being responsible dog owners of course we cleaned it up. So accompanying me on my creek crossing was a bag of poo. But I also had my purse. And anyone who knows me knows that there is a high probability of falling in a situation like this. So I needed to lighten my load, so to speak. We decided it would be safe to also chuck the poo across the creek, that if it exploded it would be an easy clean up. And explosion was inevitable, as I'm cheap and we have paper thin dollar store poo bags. So I wound up to throw.... meanwhile Aluka was being her happy self running around on the other side. Well, she wasn't happy for long. I nailed her in the head with the bag of shit, and it exploded all over her face.

Of course I burst into hysterical laughter, because well, what's funnier than someone with poo on their face? Scott didn't find it quite so funny though, and I can't say I blame him. The charm of living with someone who constantly does retarded things wears off tragically quickly. So I don't have a picture, but here is an historically accurate reenactment:

Poo Doo!


I do feel really badly though, poor Aluka! She was so upset, wondering what the hell happened! Plus eyeball + fecal matter = eye infection, so I hope she's going to be okay.
I'm really digging going for walks and seeing the different kinds of plants that are around here.




And no, I honestly did not see the creepy rock of satan next to this plant until I was taking the picture. Who the heck is so angry that they are out in beautiful nature and feel compelled to carve "Addict 666" into an innocent rock?

Despite the poo disaster we had a nice morning at the lake! Glad we discovered this place, I'm sure we'll be back. Maybe next time with thicker doggie bags and a rosary.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I'm laughing hysterically to myself right now thinking of you and poo Doo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Can't wait for your next trip.

    ReplyDelete