Friday, May 6, 2011

The final stretch!

We made it to just outside of Quebec City  last night. The weather was miserable and the traffic was horrendous! Quebec feels like another country. I don't know what I was expecting, but literally everything is in French and everyone around is speaking French. It's kinda fun though. We stood in the Mcdonald's lineup giggling like schoolgirls arguing over who was going to order our food. Turned out the answer to my "Parlez-vous anglais?" was "yes, I do!" do we managed alright. Although I did end up with a cheeseburger instead of a grilled cheese. But I can't really blame her, I'm probably the only person in the world who orders a grilled cheese at McDonald's.
They also sell liquor at corner stores for cheap, like the US almost! If we had any money or room in our vehicle we'd have filled up!
Despite the rain (just like home!) we camped for the night at KOA. It wasn't so bad though. Except our attempts at patching the bed patch didn't work, so it was another night on the ground - this time in a tent that reaked of rubber cement. Oh well, we're going to be in a real bed in Halifax tonight!
Our server at Tim Horton's this morning didn't speak English, but it was fun trying to order, and we both tried our best.
We're in New Brunswick now! We thought everything would switch right back to English, but that's definitely not the case. I wish I was bilingual - I've retained appallingly little from school French classes (sorry Mr. Down!) It's been great seeing this different side of Canada, and we're settling in to the last push to Halifax! Yay!






1 comment:

  1. enough driving already...time to get sewing
    :)

    ReplyDelete